Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Yo-yo!

I feel a need to elaborate on Wen's posting re: the Claremont. I still remain optomistic that we might be able to work something out with them on an affordable menu. Why do I think this? Because I've decided that everyone is going to eat grilled cheese.

Why you ask? Well, because once we collected our packet-o-catering-info from the Claremont staff, we decided to eat lunch on their patio which overlooks the city. There, I found a delicious! (as in light, fluffy texas toast bread) grilled cheese sandwich served with a baby greens salad and fresh tomato soup for $9. View - priceless. Now, being a bit of a grilled cheese (not to mention mac n' cheese) connosieur, I give it quite high praise... so, we'll find out what sort of arguement the hotel people make when I bring it up at our next meeting. Hee hee. They'll probably try to pass me off to some other hotel, I'm guessing.

Well, in my opinion, the best "venue search" experience we've had so far came last night. We have been e-mailing back and forth with Cocoanut Grove in Santa Cruz and wanted to make arrangments to see their ballroom. We went there yesterday, hoping that the manager would give us a tour and while that didn't quite work out, it left us at the Boardwalk with nothing else to do but partake of the amusement park. We went on the skyride, the "round and round" rollercoaster ride (I call it Yukon's Yahoo circa, my childhood), the Cave Train, THE BIG SCARY ROLLERCOASTER (Big Dipper), and the Haunted House. It was my first experience on the Dipper... wow. Built in 1924 and the 7th oldest coaster in the US, she is full of spunk. The kind that throws you to the side of the car and leaves bruises on your shins, spunk. I am not a big rollercoaster person. I don't mind coasters of the easy-Disney variety, but I don't care for: 1) dropping; 2) darkness. This one had both, plus we rode it at night. Wen had a blast... and thankfully instructed me on when to contract my stomach muscles. All said, it really was fun even though I shouted a lot of profanity at the time. We also enjoyed the cotton candy, chocolate dipped ice cream cone and the skee ball. We even won enough "tickets" in skee ball to get plastic yoyos, which I promptly unwrapped in order to display my amazing proficiency.

"Did you ever do Walk the Dog?" she asks. "Uh huh", I say.
"You know what the best yoyo ever made was?" she asks again. "Duncan Butterfly", I answer. Sometimes it's just comforting to speak the same language.

We skipped back to the car, counting the number of times we could make our 10-ticket yoyos retract and I felt about 10 years old, with a wild crush on my best friend. Only difference now is that I get to go home with her. And that, my friends, is an example of a GOOD wedding venue hunt!

3 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

awesome! what fun.

also for the record i love cheese. grilled, with macaroni, whatever. so if those things are on the catering menu, you have my support.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been to a wedding at coconut grove and it was really nice. The view is incredible and there is just something very romantic about a beach wedding. To tell you the truth, I don't remember much about the food at any of the weddings/committment ceremonies I've been to. But I do remember the places and the ambiance.

As for the giant dipper...I did it once...I hate rollercoasters and I will never do it again! My partner, Donna, is a roller coaster fanatic and has actually taken vacations based on visiting the best theme parks, so she talks me into going on them once in a blue moon. I'm just afraid I'll be one of those poor souls who dies from fright or falls out.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Malifacent said...

How funny - I just had the SAME conversation with my 8 year old. Walk the dog, sleeper, and around the world and I used to rock my butterfly - told him those were the best yo-yos ever!

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home