Monday, June 12, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

You know, so much in life comes down to respect.

I respect the wishes of churches and groups that don't want to legalize or condone gay marriage. I know that within their belief system, my relationship isn't equal. I won't ask for equal rights in their space, in their churches and communities, because, fundamentally, that's not okay within their paradigm, and really, as an outsider, it's not my place.

In the secular world, however, in terms of the Government and American law, I should have the same rights as every other US citizen: the right to marry the person I love, create a family, be protected from harm based on discrimination etc.

And that SHOULD be the beauty of the USA, with its separation of church and state. I respect your religion (or lack thereof), you respect my religion (or lack thereof), and ultimately, we are all equal in the eyes of the (human, governmental) law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home