Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Not Until We All Do

Here's an article on straight folks who are refusing to get married until gay and lesbians can also do so. I'm pleased that some of the folks mentioned in this article live in my town and went to the university I attended for my doctorate (University of California, Santa Cruz). I know people may think it's a moot point, and that a few couples can't make a difference, but I truly appreciate the gesture or solidarity. As one young woman pointed out, she wouldn't eat at a lunch counter that didn't allow African Americans...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

YAY for UCSC and Sociology and Community Studies majors!

The thing that bugs me most is the 1,138 federal benefits that married couples get. Even if state by state, gay marriage is approved, the feds don't have to give those rights to state approved gay married couples. It's got to be done at the federal level. Period.

Domestic partnership doesn't work. Gay/lesbian and straight domestic partners subsidize straight married couples through higher taxes. So called insurance benefits given at the state level are then taxed by the feds because they are considered "imputed" income. It hurts. It sucks.

Ok...venting over.

I'm not getting married until everyone in every state can get married! (if I get over my committment phobia)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Roonie said...

Right on.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

cool article!
did you know there is a famous straight couple (their names are escaping me at the moment) who are vowing to do the same thing?

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home