Friday, May 26, 2006

Acts of kindness, Part 2 - The Mormons

While I was walking the flowers from the office to my car for the journey home, I encountered a couple of patients in the waiting room. This woman and her daughter both saw the roses and exclaimed, "Wow! Those are gorgeous... who gave them to you?"

"A patient did", I explained. They probed for the occasion and I responded that it's because I'm getting married. Congratulations came forth followed by, "What's his name?"

"Wendy".

I continued to smile. The mother caught herself and smiled back at me while her daughter looked like a version of some kid in the school play who is standing under the spotlight.

I've known their family for quite awhile now and they're very nice people. I also know that they're Mormon (I was raised as such), and that their faith does not allow room for "homosexual tendencies". Boy, was I a bad Mormon!!! Anyway, we've had brief conversations about my family in Utah and the fact that I'm no longer practicing the faith; still, we've gotten on just fine. In my business, there's no policy with regards to who gets to know me and who doesn't... I simply try to honor myself and stay true to who I am while maintaining professionalism. Many of my patients know I'm gay and others don't - just like some people know that I like listening to old-fart music (I prefer to think of it as ageless) and others presume that I'm a rap sort-o-girl. Hee hee.

Hopefully I didn't scare them too much and we will continue to get on just fine despite my heavily seeded gay agenda to overtake the world:) If I'd said that my fiancee's name was Ken, they wouldn't have batted an eyelash. That's the sort of comfort level I'd love this country to reach someday. Goes to show you, Harvey Milk was right - we are your doctors, we are your lawyers, neighbors and family.

I'll keep you posted on the Mormons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dharma said...

I continue to be amazed at the number of lesbians who were raised mormon. Lani, my supervisor from waaaay back left the church. She was the first one of that type of "sinner" I remember meeting. What *do* they put in the water?

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home